Candidates that hold a current RLSS UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ) can attend a one-day RPL OWL qualification course and will be externally assessed. Once successfully obtained the OWL qualification can be used as a standalone qualification to supervise and provide rescue cover for planned, organised and risk assessed activities in still, non-tidal water.
Note, this course must only be delivered to current RLSS UK NPLQ holders only and should not include non-NPLQ candidates or a combination of the both.
The RPL Open Water Lifeguard Qualification, delivered over one day, is valid for two years and is independently assessed. The candidate manual and trainer resources help the Open Water Lifeguard Trainer Assessor deliver through the two sections:
Section 1 - The Open Water Lifeguard, environment, hazards and supervision
Section 2 - Responding to an emergency and taking action
Open Water Lifeguard - RPL NPLQ
This course must be at least 8 contact hours and run over a minimum of 1 day and the certificate is valid for 2 years. To renew you need to attend 10 hours of training during the pierod of your certificate and attend an assessment.
- Must hold a current RLSS UK National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ).
- Be able to meet the following criteria:
- Confident in open water
- Able to swim at least 400 metres in a pool/ open water swimming continuously on their front and showing urgency
- Able to submerge under the water confidently
- Must complete minimum guided learning hours
- Successfully complete the course assessment